Happy Memorial Day weekend! Between the barbecues and all that running around, remember why we celebrate this holiday.
Survey queries virtualisation benefits and cost savings – Techworld.com
However, 55 percent admitted to the network analysis vendor that they experienced more problems than benefits with the technology, while the remaining 45 percent said they had realised the benefits of virtualisation. Among the problems were a lack of visibility and tools to troubleshoot performance problems in virtual environments for 27 percent of respondents.
For those who’d like a little background, Ubuntu is a fast-growing Linux distribution offered by Canonical. In some ways, it’s a desktop, server and mobile alternative to Red Hat Linux and Novell SUSE Linux. News of Midas Networks’ strategy surfaced in a press release earlier today from Virtual Bridges, maker of the VERDE 2.0 virtualization software system.
MIT: Cloud computing to reshape IT – Network World
Ron Markezich, the corporate vice president for Microsoft Online, said that cloud computing would give IT customers a new business model where “they don’t have to worry about upgrades and capital for hardware” since those upgrades would be provided over the web by the service providers. This, in turn, would save companies’ IT departments both time and money and would allow IT departments the flexibility to assign their top workers to more high-value tasks.
Big Blue claims 8x SSD performance hike – TG Daily
IBM’s Data Facility Storage Management Subsystem (DFSMS) provides ‘targeted data placement’ on SSDs in an IBM zSeries and DS8000 environment. As the company expects most customers to operate a hybrid environment using both SSDs and traditional disks, SSD Data Balancer software allows system administrators to move frequently accessed data to SSDs, while keeping less-used data on cheaper traditional hard drives.
Mobile consumers want greener phones – PC Advisor
Respondents were asked whether they’d be more likely to purchase mobile services or mobile handsets from an operator that makes use of ‘green’ initiatives, such as giving money to organizations seeking to help the environment, actively employing programmes that reduce its carbon footprint, and/or buys network equipment from ‘green’ equipment vendors.