T-Mobile, whose corporate identity is associated with an eye-searing magenta (think hot pink-ish) hue, is going green in a big way. The mobile operator announced that it is committing to 100 percent renewable energy.
John Legere, T-Mobile’s outspoken president and CEO, said the move is more than just a way to take better care of the environment. It also improves the bottom line.
“It’s the Un-carrier way to do the right thing by our customers, and moving to renewable energy is just a natural part of that,” said Legere in a Jan. 29 announcement. “And it’s not just the right thing to do – it’s smart business! We expect to cut T-Mobile’s energy costs by around $100 million in the next 15 years thanks to this move. Imagine the awesome things we can do for our customers with that!”
T-Mobile contracted with the Infinity Renewables’ Solomon Forks Wind Project in Kansas to provide 160 megawatts of power, which is set to start generating zero-emissions electricity in 2019. It follows T-Mobile’s first wind project, the Enel Green Power’s Red Dirt Wind Project in Oklahoma, which began operations in December 2017.
Combined, the two projects will deliver 320 megawatts, or an estimated 60 percent of T-Mobile’s energy needs nationwide. For the remaining 40 percent, T-Mobile pledged to buy enough wind power to cover the difference.
As part of its commitment to 100 percent renewable energy, T-Mobile also joined RE100 and will be reporting its electricity data to the initiative. A part of The Climate Group, RE100’s membership includes Adobe, eBay, Facebook, HP, Google and Microsoft, among other major brands.
“It’s great to see T-Mobile US shifting to renewables for its power consumption,” stated Sam Kimmins, head of RE100 at The Climate Group. “As a large electricity consumer in the US, they can truly transform energy systems by bringing significant renewable capacity online – all of that while delivering real value to their customers. I congratulate them for a great commitment.”